Over-the-counter (OTC) medicines empower consumers to make informed choices every day and take better care of themselves and their families by giving them more control over their own care when it comes to minor ailments, injuries, and overall wellness. As Americans increasingly demand more control over their own healthcare decisions, OTC medicines continue to play a vital role in delivering a range of trusted healthcare options to all consumers.
The affordability of OTC medicines empowers everyone, including those without healthcare insurance coverage. Rather than relying on expensive emergency department visits or forgoing care altogether, OTC medicines provide readily available treatment options when minor medical emergencies strike.
Having round-the-clock access to OTC medicines enables Americans to take control when a minor illness or injury occurs. Knowing that a trusted OTC medicine, that will bring down a child’s high fever or stave off a dangerous allergic reaction is conveniently at-hand, provides parents with powerful peace of mind. Enhancing consumers’ ability to take control of their own health and that of their loved ones is a vital step in making for a healthier society.
News & Resources
- White Paper: Assessing Consumer Benefits of Allergy Rx-to-OTC Switches
- Pfizer: The Value of OTC Medicines
- Brochure: Over-the-Counter Visual Narrative
- Over-the-Counter Medication Behaviors of Older Adults
- Video: OTC Medicines: Taking Your Health Into Your Own Hands
- White Paper: Understanding Trust in OTC Medicines:Consumer and Healthcare Provider Perspectives
- CMPI Release: Cough Medicine Consumer Insights National Survey
- Value Study: Independent White Paper on Value of OTC Medicine to the United States
- KEY FINDINGS: The Value of OTC Medicine to the United States
- ACPM launches new OTC Medications Time Tool for Physicians and Patients